Evaluation of tribological characteristics of technical oils with fullerene compositions
The paper presents experimental studies of the tribological characteristics of liquid lubricants of various viscosity classes and various groups of operation when using fullerene compositions. Tribological characteristics were evaluated on a four-ball friction machine according to GOST 9490.
The use of fullerene compositions in the form of a finely dispersed fullerene powder, pre-dispersed (dissolved) in vegetable high oleic oils, for example, rapeseed, with the subsequent addition of the resulting composition to technical oils of various viscosity classes and various groups of operation, leads to the following positive effect. The anti-wear properties of oils, which are assessed by the wear indicator, increase by 20,0…30,7 %, and the critical load on 18,8…25,0%. These indicators significantly exceed similar indicators when using fullerene fine powders without preliminary dispersion in vegetable oils, where the effect is on the border 11,1…15 %.
Fullerene additives do not affect the extreme pressure properties of base oils, which are assessed by the scuffing load. This result makes it possible to state that the way to improve the tribological properties of lubricants by introducing a fine powder of fullerenes into base technical oils is ineffective.
The experimental results obtained confirm the hypothesis about the possibility of the micelle formation mechanism in the lubricant under the action of the electrostatic field of the friction surface. The presence of a surfactant solvent (vegetable oil) allows you to "start" the micelle formation process at lower fullerene concentrations and to obtain the effect of increasing anti-wear properties.
2. Sheida Shahnazar, Samira Bagheri, Sharifah Bee Abd Hamid Enhancing lubricant properties by nanoparticle additives // International Journal of Hydrogen Energy Volume 41, Issue 4, 2015, Pages 3153-3170 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.12.040 [English]
3. Imran Ali, Al Arsh Basheer, Anastasia Kucherova, Nariman Memetov, Tatiana Pasko, Kirill Ovchinnikov, Vladimir Pershin, Denis Kuznetsov, Evgeny Galunin, Vladimir Grachev, Alexey Tkachev Advances in carbon nanomaterials as lubricants modifiers // Journal of Molecular Liquids Volume 279, 2019, Pages 251-266 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2019.01.113 [English]
4. Yanli Yao, Xiaomin Wang, Junjie Guo, Xiaowei Yang, Bingshe Xu Tribological property of onion-like fullerenes as lubricant additive // Materials Letters Volume 62, Issue 16, 2007, Pages 2524-2527 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2007.12.056 [English]
5. L. Rapoport, Y. Feldman, M. Homyonfer, H. Cohen, J. Sloan, J. L. Hutchison, R. Tenne Inorganic fullerene-like material as additives to lubricants: structure–function relationship // Wear Volumes 225–229, Part 2, 1999, Pages 975-982 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(99)00040-X [English]
6. F. A. Yunusov, A. D. Breki, E. S. Vasilyeva, O. V. Tolochko The influence of nano additives on tribological properties of lubricant oil // Materials today: proceedings Available online 14 February 2020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.01.447 [English]
7. Xiaowei Li, Xiaowei Xu, Yong Zhou, Kwang-Ryeol Lee, Aiying Wang Insights into friction dependence of carbon nanoparticles as oil-based lubricant additive at amorphous carbon interface // Carbon Volume 150, 2019, Pages 465-474 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2019.05.050 [English]
8. Bezmel'nitsyn V. N., Yeletskiy A. V., Okun' M. V. Fullereny v rastvorakh // Uspekhi fizicheskikh nauk. — 1998, № 11, 1195—1220 [Russian]
9. Gindzburg B. M., Baydakova M. V., Kireyenko O. F. [i dr.]. Vliyaniye fullerenov S60, fullereno-vykh sazh i drugikh uglerodnykh materialov na granichnoye treniye skol'zheniye metallov // Zhurnal tekhnicheskoy fiziki. — 2000, № 12, 87—97 [Russian]
10. Yakh'yayev N. YA., Begov ZH. B., Batyrmurzayev SH. D. Novaya smazochnaya kompozitsiya dlya modifikatsii poverkhnostey tribosopryazheniy sudovogo malorazmernogo dizelya // Vestnik AGTU. Ser.: Morskaya tekhnika i tekhnologiya. — 2009, № 1, 47—52 [Russian]
11. Kravcov A. G. Evaluation of tribological characteristics of liquid lubricants with fullerene additives // Problems of Tribology, -2020, V. 25, No 3/97, 50-54 https://doi.org/10.31891/2079-1372-2020-97-3-50-54 [English]
12. Kravcov A. G. Razrabotka matematicheskoy modeli vzaimodeystviya elektricheski aktivnykh gete-rogennykh melkodispersnykh sistem na granitse razdela poverkhnost' treniya — smazochnaya sreda // Problemi tribologíí̈. — 2017, № 1, 89—99 [Russian]
13. Kravcov A. G. Modelirovaniye formirovaniya maslyanoy plenki na poverkhnosti treniya pri nali-chii fullerenovykh dobavok v smazochnom materiale i yeye vliyaniye na skorost' iznashivaniya tribosistem // Problemi tribologíí̈. — 2018, № 1, 69—77 [Russian]